I cannot believe in a few days it will mark three years of living in New York. So what better way to celebrate with some good ol' New York deli style Black and white cookies...that are vegan!
To be honest with you though I had no idea black and white cookies were derived here in NYC. My earliest memory of these delicious cookies has to be when I would beg my mom for one at the deli of well....Publix. I remember them being the size of my head and devouring them whole while probably watching Pokemon.
Vegan Black & White Cookies
"Chloe's Vegan Desserts"
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup Almond Milk or any non dairy milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar
6 tablespoons water, divided
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons lemon juice
To make the cookies
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line 2 or 3 large baking sheets with parchment paper
2) In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3) In a separate bowl whisk together oil, nondairy milk, lemon juice, and vanilla.
4) Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until almost smooth and thick.
5) Scoop about 1/4 cup batter at a time onto the prepared baking sheets and set the cookies
about 3 inches apart
6) Gently flatten the dough with the palm of your hand and shape into a round dome.
7) Bake for 16 to 18 minutes until they are golden around the edges and then let them cool on the pan
For the Icing
1) In a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and 5 tablespoons water until smooth
2) For the chocolate icing, transfer 3/4 cup of the icing mixture to a separate small bowl and whisk
in cocoa and remaining 1 tablespoon water.
3) Add lemon juice to the remainder of the white icing and whisk. You can always add a teaspoon to
either icing if it gets to thick
4) To assemble the cookies use a small offset spatula or knife and spread a thin layer of white icing
over half of the bottom side of each cookie.
5) Then spread a thin layer of chocolate icing over the other half of each cookie
6) Let the icing set and then Enjoy!